When you buy Sea Island real estate, you want to make sure that you maintain it in good condition so that it will fetch you a good resale price. Or if you’re planning to rent out the home, then maintaining it well will help you get a higher rent. However, maintaining a home well doesn’t just mean slapping on a coat of paint in-between tenants. It means considering each and every aspect of the home and making sure that it is in good condition.
- Floors: If the home has hardwood floors, then you might need to get these sanded and repolished in-between tenants so that they don’t have too many scratches. Well-maintained hardwood floors can be a good selling point for the home. If you have carpeting, then you’ll need to examine the condition of the carpet in-between tenants to see if it needs replacing.
- Appliances: Another thing you need to check out from time to time is the state of the appliances. These include the refrigerator, the washer, the dryer, the dishwasher, the boiler, the oven, the stove etc. You need to make sure that these are all in good working condition in order to attract new tenants/buyers.
- Closets/Cabinets: Most of the time, closets don’t need much by way of upkeep. You just need to make sure that the doors are closing properly and that the rails/shelves are in place. The kitchen cabinets, however, might need to be replaced after ten years or so, depending on how heavily/lightly they have been used.
- Knobs/Fixtures: These are a few other things which can help you to make a good impression on potential renters/buyers. Shiny knobs and lighting fixtures which are in good shape will make a subliminally good impression on anyone who comes to see the home, as opposed to rusted knobs and broken fixtures.
- Bathroom Fittings: Most likely, you won’t have to keep replacing fittings such as the tub or the washbasin, unless they are broken. But if your taps are rusted and water is just barely flowing out of your shower, then you might need to get these fixtures changed before renting or selling your Sea Island home.
Contact DeLoach Sotheby’s International Realty to learn more about maintaining your Sea Island home to fetch a good rent or selling price.